*warning - contains minor spoiler*
This movie is now in theaters everywhere!

Five minutes into "Into the Wild", I predicted it to be an average biography of a man touring the world. At the end, it turned out to be the most meaningful 2h20m of my life. Supertramp is not just any tramp, or just any man. He is on the same level as Jesus, Buddha, and all those good folks. Yet, he is not, because he is very human, and easy to relate to - that is why this movie can convey so many messages that religion can't. I found it to be both touching and terrifying, but overall powerful, brilliant, and connects well with the audience; there are just too few of these films, or else it should deserve its own sub-genre of drama.

The film is based on the true life story of Christopher McCandless, an astute college graduate who have lived through so much pain as a child that he decided to abandon the future of a "normal" life and start his own spiritual journey as a tramp (hence his nickname Supertramp). As a young man, his original motivation was anger and frustration, but this soon grew into something greater, and he was on his quest for the truth of happiness. While he traveled through numerous cities he was enlightened by the people around him, and through self-discovery and catharsis he did, in the end, discovered the truth of happiness (I found "the truth" very touching - and trust me I don't find a lot of things touching).

Some quotes from this movie are very insightful, so I found myself the effort here to include some.

...how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong.

...If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibilities of life are destroyed.

...I think careers is a 20th century invention, and I don't want one...

Apparently there is a book called "Into the Wild" and it's quite famous. Too bad I've never even heard of it before seeing the movie - now I am probably going to read it.

Anyways, I strongly recommend you to watch it. The characters are all friendly and easy to relate to. The storyline is simple but strong. Each word of the script is crystal clear and magnificently presented. Overall it was almost unreal - I couldn't stop thinking about it after. It might just be the most emotionally satisfying movie of the year, and it might just give you a new perspective on life and happiness, as it did for me.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Whoa, an article on a personal experience rather than just a summary of something you just read somewhere else -- this is new. Cool.

    I've never heard of either the movie or the book though.
    Eddie said...
    Thank you

    This is one of the few movies that moved me, so I thought I must write about it. haha ^^
    Anonymous said...
    Yo i didn't read it cuz i actually want to see it
    spoilerless
    but i soooo want to see this
    like amazingly bad.

Post a Comment